Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Kitchen Fixin's

I don't want to brag, but.......our kitchen is a doozy.

But it didn't start out that way.

With humble beginnings, our hospitalized kitchen was over a year in the making. Here it is when we bought the house;

Can you believe our luck, they even left us a matching coffee maker!! Later, I found a bread machine that matched as well.
Sure, it was functional. Sure, I was thankful to own a home and have a kitchen at all.

But have you ever tried to clean a porous floor? With scraped out grout? Or a countertop with scratches all over it?

Have you always dreamed of needing to open the dishwasher to get to your junk drawer?

This is how we lived for over two years. We scrimped and saved and last April, the time had finally come...

...the time to become BFF's with the entire Home Depot sales team. And pray every night that my husband and I would get through this with our sanity (and marriage!) in tact...

But first there was a job to do. A no-good, very dusty, huge demo job.
Thanks to our demo team, we got this done in 4 hours.

Essentials:
MASKS
EYEWEAR
GLOVES
DUMPSTER
Oh, and some catered BBQ doesn't hurt either.

To help things run efficiently, I planned out a demo schedule before hand. Everyone had a job to do, from Dumpster Dude's to Shop Vac Diva's, everyone had a fun time and it was out with the old!

At the end of the day we were left with this.

Basically nothing.

And what did I do?

I cried.

I love my husband. He gets me. But he didn't get this.

"You're finally getting your kitchen..why are you crying?"
"It's not real. It's never going to happen. Look what we DID. WHAT WERE WE THINKING?"

Like I said, I love my husband. He gave me a big hug.

"We'll get it done."


2 weeks later it looked like this:Add 7 more days after that, we officially had walls.

Ok, I can breathe now. (Literally, the dust was finally abating).Our cabinets came, and we officially moved in. Yea, we don't wait for stuff like countertops and floors. We're just cool like that. And to ensure we were always on schedule, every time we got behind, I just created a new one. Crazy? Yes. But did it make us feel better? Yes! We're all about fooling ourselves psychologically.

Even the marshmallow tried to help. At one point when pulling up the carpet in the adjoining room we added on, he grabbed it with his teeth, and helped pull! Good dog. Here he is contemplating how to use a hammer. Or how to eat it. You never know with him...
All in all, my husband was right. It got done. We may have had to try to put this ceiling fan up no less than 4 times before getting the wiring right, we may have finished poly'ing the floating shelves the night before our big reveal, we might not even be 100% finished right now, but are you looking at this??!
We did it. And it's a doozy. Praise God.

Yes, I opted for a 24-inch range and I don't regret it. One of my goals is protecting this beautiful earth (Psalm 104), and installing a smaller range also gave us more layout freedom in our tiny kitchen.

Yes, I can still fit a turkey in there.

No, I would never actually cook a turkey though.

Big love to the turkeys. xoxo

We kept the dishwasher. It's a mighty fine dishwasher.

I designed the pot rack. I don't have, or need a lot of pots.
I designed the coat hook. We have a lot of coats.
I designed the fruit of the spirit art. I need the daily reminder.

Ok, I got the barstools at IKEA. But the hutch is from Craigslist, so I equaled out there. The hutch is painted "Rain Slicker" by Martha Stewart.

I framed William Carlos Williams "This is Just to Say." Great poem. Go read it.

My husband has a coffee station. He lets me make things pretty even if that means I put his honey in a pretty bucket on a shelf so it looks good. He adapts well to my organization schemes. A place for everything and everything in its place!

We'll cover this later, but these are my gluten free flours.

2 years in the planning, 2 and a half months in the making, and finally. A kitchen I can call home. Yes, home, because I'm pretty confident I could live in there 24/7 now. I am so blessed!!! Thanks for reading :)


7 comments:

  1. you guys really did a great job...the pictures look great...just absolutely love love love those handles!!! ♥J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. S- your kitchen is as sweet as you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! what a transformation!!! :) you have great taste- wink wink! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks Great! Your kitchen was almost identical to my parent's kitchen. I'm curious as to where your fridge is now located?

    ReplyDelete
  5. the fridge is where the stove used to be in the before pics :) it just made more sense with the layout and making the most of our space ~*S*~

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails