Thursday, September 8, 2011

Procrastination Anyone?



2377815265_ORIG.jpeg
Procrastination has always been my worst enemy it seems. I come home from a long day at work and look at the load of laundry and think, “Hey look, laundry! Should I do it now? Do I really need to? I just had a long day at work, I deserve to take a break.” I then proceed to do other things and put all thoughts of doing laundry out of my head.


It would seem that procrastination and motivation go hand in hand. I can be really, really motivated on the way home from work. My 30 minute drive home consists of all these awesome things I’m going to do when I get home. I get super excited about doing laundry, picking up around the house, working out, and a miscellaneous list of other things that I have been meaning to get out of the way for a while. My house will be clean as a whistle with everything put neatly in its place and I will look fantastic while I do it. As soon as I get home, I seem to fall into the same routine of procrastination. How can I lose that much motivation in just 30 minutes?


We like to put up the façade that we are proactive and never procrastinate. I like to hide behind a mask of “yes! I am on top of things and ahead of the game!” In reality, I struggle to keep up with simple things like birthday gifts and events where I bring a dish to pass. Everything is left to the last minute. I have become quite the expert in efficiency when time is precious.
After things pile up for a few days, I finally am able to make myself motivated enough to get a ton of things done. It ends up making me feel stressed because I can’t believe that I didn’t do it when I should have.
My husband and I are currently in the process of a complete bathroom gutting and remodel, so our house has been a little crazier than normal (wait not crazy, psychotic!). There is dust everywhere, tools everywhere, supplies everywhere, and it all just makes for a stressful environment.
This is where I take a deep breath and try to maintain some control of my emotions so I don’t explode with raging madness at the mess! As odd as this sounds, I procrastinate, but I like to have things a certain way. My house is not a cesspool, but it sometimes isn’t spotless either. I consider it in “lived in” condition. I clean and keep things in relative good order (even more so when company comes over), but I don’t always get to do the things I should do in a timely manner. I am always waiting until the last possible minute.


Prov 13:4
The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.


Then I think, what if Jesus had procrastinated? What if he put of dying for us, what would have happened? I shudder at the thought. I am thankful for everything He has done and try to remind myself not to procrastinate. It’s time to be diligent for Jesus.


                                                           

2 comments:

  1. When you put it that way, it truly makes me take a step back and think....about all the times I have procrastinated.... :-/ You are right, where would we be if HE had procrastinated on our behalf? Guess I better get to work! Thank you for the reminder, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post today jenn....what a great reminder!!!! Oh..and your house always looks great to me ;) mar ~

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails