Friday, February 25, 2011

Lucky Ducky Duct Tape Flower Pens

Hello sisters, Lulu here! I have a new BFF and it's name is duct tape. I am a seventh grader and duct tape can be seen around my school. It comes in tons of colors and people use it to cover their binders, make wallets and create bracelets. One of my friends used it to make little bows that she attached to bobby pins to wear in her hair. I had this week off from school and thought I would give duct tape crafting a try. We found our duct tape at Michael's for about five dollars a roll. I decided to try a duct tape flower pen project and OH MY GOODNESS IT WAS HAPPINESS ON A STEM!!!!! Here's how to make a rainbow flower pen.
Step One: Measuring the tape
Each petal is a 2 inch piece of duct tape. Each flower can have anywhere from 21-24 petals. I have 6 colors, so I made 24 petals, 4 of each color. I found the easiest way to cut the duct tape was to measure each strip on a gridded mat and cut it with an exact o knife.  
Step Two: To make the petals
Take one 2 inch strip, sticky side up and fold down one corner so that you are left with an "L" of sticky. Fold the other upper corner down leaving just the bottom strip of the sticky "L". Repeat this to make all the petals. 





Step Three: Forming the flower
Take a small piece of duct tape and cover the bottom of the pen to create the center of the flower (not shown in picture). Take your first petal and wrap it around the end of the pen. Continue to wrap each petal so the points are staggered.




Once you have finished wrapping your petals....... voila!!
 

Step Four: Adding the stem
Measure a strip of green tape the size needed to cover the pen from the cap to the base of the flower. A BIC pen uses 4 inches of green tape. Wrap the piece of tape around the pen. 


Step Five: Finishing touches
Cut a half inch strip of green tape and cut it into 4 equal squares. Stick the squares to the base of the flower evenly spacing the points.
 
I have made solid color flowers, flowers using three colors and the rainbow flowers. We actually decided that we like the rainbow flower better starting with purple on the inside and ending with red on the outside. Here are some of my colorful creations!



I can't wait to give these to my friends and family. Don't worry J I'm bringing you a rainbow one tonight!

 
Linking To!

All Things Heart and Home


Fantabulous Friday!





monogramPhotobucket








40 comments:

  1. UH HEEELLLOOO...are these not the cutest things ever!! and she's a 7th grader folks! lulu, you rocked the week :) ♥J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cute and very talented! Keep creating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so awesome lulu!!!! love it!!! ~mar*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my wooooooord! Lulu you are FAB!~e

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTASTIC! I love how bright and beautiful they are! If you have time, I would LOVE for you to come and link this up to my Thrilling Thursday linky party @ Paisley Passions. The party will be open until midnight on Sunday :)

    http://paisleypassions.blogspot.com/2011/02/thrilling-thursday-linky-party_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. adorable! excellent tutorial.

    I have a giveaway on my blog. $15 store credit to select any hair accessoriesfor a little girl. check it out
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/02/fancy-headbands-and-hair-clips-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow... I need to go buy some duct tape! My kids would love doing this on the weekend! I love the pens! I am a new follower!

    Join my Sweet Saturdays link party tomorrow!
    http://justcraftytoday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lulu, you rock! Love the solid pink one! And the colorful one (red on the inside) and do they come in purple??? hehe ~*S*~

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's pretty amazing! Those look fun to write with. Thanks for the guided tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been featured at Kids Create with UCreate. Thank so much for this fun tutorial. Very cool!

    Becky
    ucreatewithkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow multi hued brilliance...is this what they call a million blooms...;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so awesome! I absolutely love them! I found you through Smile Monsters and am now a follower. I would love for you to come by my blog.

    Melanie
    youmadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to make these for my nieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cuteness abounds as usual!!!
    I'm featuring these on Wednesday!
    xo
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wanted to know how to make these. Now I've got to get me some duct tape. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love duck tape crafts! A guy I dated briefly as a teenager gave me a bunch of these for V-Day. I still have them. lol. Thanks for hooking up at my Weekend Link Party! Have a great day.
    Humble Homemaking

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I am so impressed! I give this tutorial an A+++!!! Wonderful, thanks for sharing this great crafty idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cool - I'll be making some of these for my nieces soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so great! Thanks for linking to Fantabulous Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these flowers! I followed a few links to get to you page, and I am glad I found the origin! Thanks for sharing! I will be a new follower!

    Jerri

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE this! Its FAB!!! Come on 'ova and share this at my Linky Par-Tay!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi!I'm Waverly and I am also a 7th Grader with a strange love for crafts and duct tape! At my school I'm dubbed as "The Duct Tape Queen". I earned this title by making a dress, skirt, bags, shoes, even boots out of the magic adhesive. If you want to see my blog, it's at wavygravylovestape.com

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for linking up this great post last week! {Im a lil behind, eeekk!}

    Its party time AGAIN!!! xoxokara



    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awe....never occurred to us to do a rainbow rose...these turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks again LULU! I made my first one (a variation on your lovelies) and gave a shout out to the Seven Sisters blog on my post here......check it out if you want!
    Jerri
    http://thrownandfired.blogspot.com/2011/04/day-91-flower-pens.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are very cute! I have just recently attempted to make these but they are not turing out the way that I want them to. I get how to fold the squares and rotate them around the pen to give that spiral look. But when I do mine it gets taller and not wider! Any ideas why this is happening?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Ms. Patterson, Lulu here! The flat, bottom part of each folded petal should line up exactly as you wrap it around the pen, one right on top of the other with the points staggered. If it helps to see someone do it there are many videos on youtube that might help.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! I'm also a blogger who is interested in arts and crafts although my blog is not about that. My blog is about anime, manga and korean pop. You don't have to visit my blog but I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this post. ( p.s. I'm in middle school too, but younger than you one year. ^u^)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wonder if I could/should try this on hair sticks?? I'll def try this with the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made the pen flowers....amazing! I did mine with just 2 colors (leopard and hot pink) and gave it to my Aunt. She loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am trying this why do your leaves look so thick mine look thin..Love the idea..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your toy it's so beautiful, I like it vey much, I also bought one at cheap hermes handbags
    , If you want one too. can visit this address, The backpacks are beautiful at there. I think you will be love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your toy it's so beautiful, I like it vey much, I also bought one at omega speedmaster watches
    , If you want one too. can visit this address, The backpacks are beautiful at there. I think you will be love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Used this design to make a duct tape rose ring. Thanks for posting, instructions worked out perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, really charming blog. I just love this and have collected my rainbow flower from at PIJ. I really happy to get this one.
    http://bit.ly/takashii

    ReplyDelete
  36. who can't do that just 4 steep:
    .get duct tape
    .do stem
    .do petals
    .paste the petals to the flower

    P.S
    AND THAT ABOT IT

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like the idea of using the rainbow colors - very cheery. http://www.educttapecrafts.com/ has some more great duct tape inspiration for anyone interested...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails