Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Bread of Life is Gluten Free

Hey everybody!

Hope you're enjoying Seven Sisters :)

I mentioned in my previous post that I have a gluten intolerance. It was a long road to diagnosis. My symptoms began almost 8 years ago very mildly, and it culminated after several mis-diagnoses by my doctor to finally discovering it was a gluten intolerance about 6 months ago. Since starting the diet I have felt so much better than in the past!!

Do you know someone with celiacs disease? Gluten intolerance? It can be daunting at times to have a person with a special diet over to your house for food! Should you cater to their diet? What's the etiquette? Here is what I have found are great tips for having gluten free company!

1) Don't feel like you have to go out of your way. The last thing we want to feel like is a burden. If the gathering is a "dish to pass" event, we know well enough to make sure our dish to pass is something that we can eat and that could sustain us for the event if need be. I like to bring a salad with lots of toppings that would fill me up if that happened to be the only thing I could eat, or something similar. However, that's usually not the case as there is almost always a fruit salad, veggies, etc. that are quite safe. Let us know in advance what you are serving, if it's hot dogs or hamburgers that will give us a chance to bring our own buns! So far this has gone great for me! Thanfully J never got offended when I would bring my own GF (gluten free) frozen waffles on pizza night. She may have laughed, but mmm, I love those waffles! So glad for understanding friends!
Organic burger on a gluten free bun :)

If the event is a more intimate dinner where you plan on doing all the cooking, and you know you have a gluten intolerant friend coming, please, please let them know what you will be making ahead of time. This allows us to plan ahead and discreetly bring our own version or offer to bring a side to share that is safe for us to eat in the event we can't have what you are making. Don't feel like you need to change your menu for us, and please don't be offended if we ask if it's ok for us to bring our own version of what you are making.
2) In the event of a buffet line, offer those with special dietary needs the chance to go through the line first. This helps us know any sides or toppings, etc. were not contaminated. (ex: a salad bar that has croutons in a separate bowl- someone may use the crouton spoon to get some cheese as well, thus contaminating the cheese). Depending on the severity of the persons allergies, even the smallest crumb can affect them.

3) Please don't be offended if we ask what ingredients you used or to read the ingredients on the box you are making. Consider it a compliment as we would absolutely love to eat that delicious artichoke dip you made, but just want to make sure we aren't suffering from horrible cramps later.
roasted chicken and carrots rubbed with a curry, salt, pepper and olive oil mixture served over rice

Having a gluten intolerant friend or family member can be overwhelming when you try to plan your menu. But did you notice all the recipe links above? Aside from the cupcakes, they're all everyday recipes, not just from a gluten free magazine or cookbook. Sometimes all it takes is omitting the crust of the pie (or like my sisters have done many times, making a regular pie, but reserving some of the filling in a separate bowl just for me!), or trying something new!
Intimate NYE Midnight Breakfast dinner at our house: frittatas, crustless quiches, fruit salad- all gluten free!

I have to say I have been sooo lucky- my family has gone out of their way to make sure there is always something for me to eat and keeping food uncontaminated. I think my mom knows more about gluten intolerance than even I do! My friends have been great too! Lotsa love to all, they keep me well fed.
I hope these tips have been helpful for any readers with gluten free friends or family! I hope yours and theirs experiences are as positive as mine have been!
John 6:35, "And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to be allergic to the spiritual bread of life... have you checked it out yet?
**Disclaimer- I am not, nor have ever been, nor ever plan to be a doctor. I also have not, nor ever have been, nor ever plan to be an etiquette queen. So, please, use your own judgment. :)

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, it all looks delicious, S! Frittata's are my favorite!! What kind of bread is the last picture? I just ate breakfast, but now I'm starving again from all the yummy pictures you've posted : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most gluten free dishes you wouldn't even know were gluten free if you didn't say so! Like the delicious choco-peanut butter brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben's Mommy - the bread is a cinnamon bread with choco chips...i'll have to send it in my next letter with a non-gluten free revision (it's from my GF cookbook) :)
    ~*S*~

    ReplyDelete
  4. no crouton dust around here!!! love ya!! ♥J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks awesome ....im gonna have to try some of those recipies.. they look delicious! (and have you guys over for dinner!!) ~Mar*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done ~S~!!!. Great encouragement for all those on both sides of the bread line and "Bread of Life"....Bob

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails