Thursday, June 23, 2011

Adorable Flower Barrettes

I had this cute idea from "J" to create your own barrette using artificial flowers.  I have been making them for a little while and thought I would post a little "how to" make them on your own.  These barrettes are very customizable and easy to make.

What you will need:

Hot Glue Gun
Scissors
Buttons
Ribbon
Artificial flowers of your choice (flat ones work very well)
Generic Barrettes (found in the jewelery section of the craft store)


 Step 1

Start to disassemble the artificial flower.  This is very easy to do.  Simply start to gently pull apart the different pieces.


You will find a lot of hard plastic pieces in between the layers.  I discard these when creating the barrettes.  They were useful in helping the flower hold it's shape while on the stem, but no longer needed when turning them into a barrette.

 Step 2

Select a button and thread it with your ribbon.


 Step 3
Start to reassemble your flower one layer at a time starting with the smallest piece and working your way towards the larger pieces.  You can determine how full you want your flower to look by adding or subtracting layers of flowers.


 Step 4

Turn your flower over and tie a small, tight knot.  I topped my knot off with a tap from my hot glue gun to be sure that it doesn't fall apart.  Try to flatten the area as much as possible to make it easier to glue to the barrette.


 Snip the extra ribbon so that it doesn't show.

 Place a layer of hot glue along the barrette and apply it to your flower.  Hold until it is secure.  Allow the glue to dry before continuing. 




Congratulations!  You have created a barrette that you can wear separately or attached to a headband!




I am super excited about my sunflowers!!!  Keep growing little guys!!
We had an ugly bush growing in our backyard in an inconvenient location.  We didn't know what it was, so the Professor weed-wacked it...a lot.  Obviously it didn't take the hint and came back with these beautiful flowers.  It was a reminder to me to not always judge something by it's outward appearance because it just might surprise you with the rewards that it brings.


1 comment:

  1. That's a nifty barrette idea, I might give that a try.
    I love peonies! They smell wonderful, I think I like them just as well as roses. Unfortunately, ants also love them, so my husband made me plant ours away from the house. Not that that's deterring them...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails