Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Favorite Family Recipes...

My Grandma was the BEST cook you could ever want to meet. I was only a teenager when she passed away and nobody in our family seems to know where her recipes went.  The thought that they got thrown away just makes me cringe... I can't barely stand to think about it.  So, a few months after my daughter was born I bought a journal that I could write down all of our favorite family recipes in.... hoping that one day I could present it to her as a gift.  I refuse to type anything out on the computer... because in my opinion, if I had even one recipe hand written by my precious Grandma, it would be one of my most valuable possessions.  So, out of precedence, I'm just not going to type out one. single. recipe.  And I MEAN it! ;)


I added little captions such as "mommy loves this recipe..."  or "this is one of daddy's favorites..."  just to give it a personal touch.  Every so often I added one of my favorite scriptures or a little note encouraging her to be a godly woman. I also added who I received certain recipes from-- if they were from someone near and dear to our family.  


This book is a constant work in progress and I add to it frequently.... hopefully, someday it will be one of her prized possessions.  


Take a peek..... 

The Book.. I even picked pink which ended
up being her favorite color.
 SCORE!


One of "Daddy's" faves... 

One of my favorites...


Here are a few of our family's fave's....

Mommy's Alfredo Sauce:
1 pint of heavy cream
1 stick of butter
3 tbsp cream cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
garlic salt, to taste.

*In a large sauce pan, melt butter into heavy cream-- also melt in cream cheese.  
*Stir in Parmesan cheese until smooth
*add garlic salt and stir
*Simmer on low for 20 mins and then remove from heat.  (it will then thicken up a bit)
*Serve over your favorite pasta. 


Auntie's Dutch Apple Pie:
(FILLING)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
dash nutmeg
7 cups empire apples 


CRUMB TOPPING:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon 

*Bake @450 for 10 mins with pierced foil over pie.
*Reduce to 350, removing foil, for 1/2 hour
*Add topping
*bake 15-20 mins (also at 350)


Grandma G's Crock Pot Meatballs:
1 bag frozen meatballs
1 jar chili sauce
1 can cranberry sauce
*Place all ingredients in crockpot and cook on high 3 hours and then reduce to low/warm setting..



"O taste and see that the Lord is good:  Blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." 
~Psalm 34:8


1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful idea. I have a collection of hand written ones from my grandparents and my mom. I should put them all together and make something like this for my children someday. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails