The recipe is found in Linda and Martha Greenlaw's Recipes From a Very Small Island. This mom and daughter duo have put together recipes that the daughter grew up eating and they both still make today. If you are looking for a new cookbook may I suggest this one. (Mine has pages falling out of it because we love it so).
Mama's Blueberry Buckle
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter or vegetable shortening, such as Crisco
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup of milk
2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted cold butter
whipped cream or your favorite whipped topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. butter and 8 inch square baking dish.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar unitl light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix untilcombined.
3. In a small bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder,and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter, alternating with the milk, mixing until smooth and blended.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread with a rubber spatula so that it evenly covers the pan. Sprinkle the berries over the batter.
5. To make the topping, whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the butter and work with a fork or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. (You can also do this in a food proccessor.) Sprinkle the crumb topping over the blueberries. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the berries are bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
6.Serve warm, with the whipped cream or your favorite whipped topping (icecream is also yummy).