Saturday, December 4, 2010

i really ♥ gritty pear honey

que music....
"have a holly jolly Christmas....it's the best time of the year"...
farewell Thanksgiving...hello holiday chaos...
so here we are in the swing of things over at 7sistahs, full gear for the Merry Holiday, either you're like ♥S who has her yearly newslette
r for 2016 already planned out...or you're like me...
work. only. under. pressure.
(....as ♥E would put it, so dramatically with a super hilarious facial expression) ...for all the sistahs who relish & thrive in the urgency of today...i ♥ you ...hope you like pear honey (with a little bit of pear grit)

♥Pear Honey Recipe♥


♥ Ingredients ♥


♥ Pears...pretty!! ♥


♥ Chopped Pears♥


♥ Pears in stockpot♥
Please take note!!! the recipe instructs you to boil down until the texture and color of honey is reached...what failed to be mentioned, in any recipe that i googled online, was that the texture you're looking for will only appear after cooling!!! i was cooking & cooking, wondering why my batch was not turning into honey, until i realized it wouldn't thicken up until it cooled down...my recommend boilng time: 1 -2 hours...stirring often...enjoy♥


  1. Place chopped pears into a large pot, and pour pineapple juice over them to prevent them from browning. Stir in sugar, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. When the pears are at a full boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the mixture is the color and texture of honey. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets. Cooking time is usually 2 to 3 hours.
  2. Ladle into hot sterile jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth, and seal jars with lids and rings. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, or the amount of time recommended by your local extension for your area.

Linking to...




All Things Heart and Home








Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I can verify that the end product is very DELICIOUS!!! (I was lucky enough to be a test taster ☺). Thanks for sharing, J! I didn't realize that the recipe doesn't have any honey in it...very cool. Nel ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a fan of pears. I never thought to make a jam out of them. I can't wait to try this although I think I'm going to have to until after the holidays. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call this pear butter in my family (like apple butter), and it is indeed lovely.

    In my experience, you really don't need any sort of acidic juice like pineapple or lemon to keep the pears from browning; you're going to cook them down anyway, and any oxidization that might happen will help color your final product. Likely that juice helped "start" the boiling-down process more than anything; you could do the same with pear or apple juice, or even cherry. I've done apple-cherry butter that was FAB. The pineapple would add a nice tartness, though.

    Also, during the cooking/reducing process, it's MUCH easier to do it in a big roaster pan in the oven. You won't scorch it, and the bigger surface area of the roaster means it'll reduce faster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GET OUT! I love this! You gals are so cute. I love your blog. This sounds like such an awesome recipe but I am so lazy. Here's to hoping Santa will drop some of this yummy stuff in my stocking.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails