Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"every famous last word"

The other day, a song came sing-songing its way through my brain - a song I haven't heard in a loooong time, but often listened to while I was in college (which seems FOREVER ago!!!).  It's called "Every Famous Last Word" by Miracle of '86.  Probably a band you've never heard of, and honestly, this is the only song of theirs I ever knew.

Anyway, the lyrics go;
"for every famous last word
there are a million last words
and they're last words that no one's heard."
Famous last words.  It's a catchphrase we've heard often before. The phrase usually makes me think of (aside from this song) soap opera dramas, or movies...how many treasure hunt movies began on the lips of someone's last words?? Why do we put so much stock into last words?

And what about THE MOST famous last words?  Who's were they?  Who would you attribute the most famous last words ever to?  Personally, I think Jesus!  Would you believe there were seven phrases He said while on the cross?  (Coincidentally God's number).  With Easter coming up quickly, it can be a lot easier to brush by the painful journey of Good Friday and skip to the happy ending of Resurrection Sunday. But Jesus' attitude towards the cross and His "famous last words" can still teach us something so important.  (By the way sisters, do I get Sister Points for moving from obscure indie rock to Good Friday in one graceful swoop?  No? Maybe?) Ok, on with the show...  Jesus' last words before His death were...

Jesus forgave us.
Luke 23:34 "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do"
Ok, my husband could eat the last Snickers peanut butter egg and I'd have trouble forgiving him for AT LEAST a week. But Jesus forgave us for crucifying Him WHILE IT WAS HAPPENING. It makes my every day skirmishes seem petty in comparison.

Jesus saves us.
Luke 23:43 "Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise."
Jesus' famous last words to one of the theives being crucified with Him.  Jesus didn't just forgive His "good" followers, He forgave ALL of us.  His forgiveness and salvation is immediate, all we have to do is believe Him and ask for it!

Jesus wants a parent/child relationship with us.
John 19:26-27 "When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold they mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home."
Jesus understands the need for a caring parent/child relationship. Not only on earth, but a heavenly one as well. Just as He said to Mary, "behold thy son," He wants to say about us, "behold MY son" or "MY daughter."  Jesus is proud when we seek and desire a personal relationship with our heavenly Father!

Jesus was willing to separate himself from God to show us His love.
Matthew 27:46 "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
If His love for us isn't clear by the painful death on the cross, let's not forget that Jesus actually spent over 30 years away from His heavenly home. He had to pray to God just as we do to communicate. There was no more "throne to throne" conversations as I imagine there are today.  He was just as human as you and I.

Jesus physically, emotionally, and spiritually suffered for us.
John 19:28 "I thirst."
The pain on the cross was real.  Jesus REALLY FELT IT. As I said above, he wasn't in some supernatural body that didn't feel pain.  God didn't give him some spiritual anesthesia. He suffered the worst possible death, because He felt the love of a father towards His children. He would do anything to take our place.

Jesus ushers in an era of salvation by grace through faith.
John 19:30 "It is finished"
The pain He felt was not for nothing. Jeus closed the door on an era of salvation through countless rules and sacrifices and works. He opened the door to a simple message, salvation by faith through grace. Jesus' blood on the cross on "Good Friday" covered our sins and opened the doors for anyone willing to come to know Jesus.

The ultimate reward for salvation is everlasting life with God the Father!!
Luke 23:46 "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit"
In the end, Jesus found Himself back with His Father once again. He had suffered and died a physical, human death as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, and so we would never have to pay in like manner. He had risen from the dead and proven that He was who He said He was. Because He loves us.


These were Jesus' last words before His death... but they weren't His last words on earth. His last words included a commission for us to share His story with others.  I hope I have been able to successfully do so today. And if you take one thing away after reading, I hope its that God's ultimate goal is for your salvation. As Good Friday approaches, I hope it's a reminder to not let another day go by without a personal relationship with Jesus.  He can change everything!

2 comments:

  1. I seem to recall someone ELSE eating the last snickers egg and me not getting to eat ANY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, did Gravy Goblin not read the part where you called these skirmishes "petty"? Or did he just have to have the "last word"!! Haha. Nice post S! Nel ☺

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails